M1 Support Forum Calification on termination using 2 home runs

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Barry George

I’ve read the manual but missed this simple setup. Two keypads (M1KP2) one front and one back door, each on their own home run. No other boards on these runs at this time.

In this simple configuration, how do the Bus and Termination jumpers need to be set? I may wish to add an M1KPAS later for Garage entry/exit arming.

Thanks in advance

Eric Bailey

All you should need to do is install the terminating jumper on both keypads – assuming those are the only two devices on data bus.  Wire each keypad directly to the M1 board, so you will have two wires on each +VKP, Data A, Data B, and Neg terminals.  If you want a visual clarification, look in the manual on Page 7.  Ignore the M1KP (Keypad 1), M1XIN, and M1XOV devices on the schematic and imagine your setup as just the two M1KP (Keypads 2 & 3).

You said you wired each keypad as a “home run” – so my question is did you wire the keypads with 4 conductor wire or 8 conductor (or Cat5) wire?  This will make a difference if you want to add any other devices on the data bus in the future (like your Garage keypad).  You should wire all future devices with 8 conductor so you can do the proper “feed and return” to each keypad.  Technically, you really only need 6 conductor cable, because power doesn’t need to return, but 8 conductor will give you a connection point to the output and zone connections on the keypads that support it.

If you need more clarification, I can do up a quick sketch.  Sometimes it helps to see it visually!

Barry George

Thanks Eric.  Yes I ran Cat5 to each location. I have one keypad up and powered on. Just wasn’t sure how I had to wire up the second.

I’ve had my M1 Gold literally sitting in its shipping box for ‘Years’ and had never found the time to install it. I’m trying to make that push now. Kinda the same with my HomeSeer setup… Complete reno of an old house – so many things on the to-do list.. lol

Thanks again for the feedback.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Scroll to Top