M1 Support Forum Elk M1 Speaker Connection options

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    M1 Installer

I currently have 4 Elk speakers (3 SP12F and Elk-73) connected to an Elk M1G. I’d like the ability to only have certain speakers announce certain events. I can use some Elk-800 Amplifiers and I also have a whole house audio system to add additional speaker options. What’s the best way to do this? I can possibly add some speakers and/or reconfigure the wiring if necessary to keep the speaker load at the proper level. I see that the speaker level output can be converted to line level as detailed here: https://www.elkproducts.com/m1_line_level_out.html If I do the line level conversion, can I still have speakers connected directly to output 1? Or does all audio need to be run through this line level output? Can I split the line level output to multiple Elk-800s and my whole home audio system? I also thought I read somewhere that it’s possible to connect to J7 on the panel – I’m not using two-way listen in. Is there a way to use the J7 output? Thanks in advance for any advice on the best way to approach this.

ELK Tech Support

Output 1 on the M1 System is global to all 8 Areas as far as Alarms, System Events, System Troubles, Spoken Voice messages, etc. It will be very difficult to try and select only certain speakers to be active in order to only speak certain messages. This process would require relays to switch in/out those speakers and numerous rules. The ELK M1 TWA Two-way Amplified Interface would allow you the option to “Mute” specific groups of speakers using Rules. This perhaps would be a cleaner/neater solution without the need of external relays.

M1 Installer

Thank you for the reply. If I follow the instructions here to convert the speaker level to line level and feed it into a whole home audio system, can I simultaneously (in parallel?) run speakers from output 1?

ELK Tech Support

Yes, you can still connect Speakers to Output 1 as well as use a Line Level Converter. If you do not want to breadboard the circuit Russound offers the ADP- 1.2 Amplified Speaker to Line Level converter for a neater/cleaner installation.

BladerunnerKC

I used a line level converter on Output 1 and it has worked great. I now have that output going through a line level converter to a 4 input mixer and then to a PA amplifier.

Don’t forget power backups across all of these devices to maintain notifications. I found 12vdc components on Partsexpress.com and backed it all up with an Elk power module and power distribution module.

Ian Prowell

I have a adp-1.2 and an elk-73 that I’m trying to get to work with my m1 gold. If I connect them in parallel I don’t get sound. If I connect them in series I only get sound on the adp-1.2. What is the impedance of the asp-1.2? How can I connect both to the m1 gold?

Brad Weeks

The Russound ADP 1.2 is a Speaker to Line Level convertor so that you could take OUTPUT 1 from the M1 and connect it to the Line Level Input on an external amplifier or Whole House Audio System. The ELK 73 will connect directly to the OUTPUT 1 on the M1 board and not to the ADP 1.2

BladerunnerKC

I connected the output from the M1 via the ADP 1.2 to a small 12vdc mixer that allowed me to have 4 inputs to my PA speaker system in the house. It was helpful as it also allowed me to balance the inputs and get even volume levels from all devices. This included a Radio Shack weather radio that also required an ADP 1.2 to convert to line level.

I avoided the speaker direct approach and just added a PA system speaker instead into a location where I had originally planned on having the speaker.

This has been working now for about 4 years this way.

Ian Prowell

Brad,

I was not connecting the elk73 to the adp-1.2. The elk73 was either in series or parallel to the input of the adp-1.2. The whole house amp I’m connecting downstream of the adp-1.2 isn’t always on hence the desire to have at least the elk73 working independently. I’ll have the whole house amp turn on if the alarm is triggered to provide a louder alarm.

I have considered a separate small amp connected to the line level output of the asp-1.2. I’m also considering the two way add-on board. Do the normal announcements go to the two way audio module speaker outputs?

Brad Weeks

Yes, the voice messages and siren sounds from OUTPUT 1 also go through the ELK M1TWA Two-way Amplifier .

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Scroll to Top