M1 Support Forum gmail is blocking M1 emails

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Malcolm Johnson

I am trying to set up emails sent from M1 to my gmail account.  When I test I find that they don’t go through but I get a warning saying that an attempt was made to access my account from a less secure site.  I then set gmail to allow access to less secure accounts and then the emails came through.  However I don’t want to keep that setting in gmail against their security warning.  I just updated all of my firmware and software to the latest M1 and RP2 versions.

Jerry Galu

I had a similar problem had to research what port would work. I found that 465 and server address http://smtp.gmail.com with your user name (email). My only issue with using gmail is it sometimes delays the notification so looking for some other free service.

Malcolm Johnson

Jerry, Thanks for the reply.  However I have been using 465 and that gmail smpt.  An email gets set to my gmail address but I can’t open it.  Google send me the following message:

Someone just used your password to try to sign in to your account from a non-Google app. Google blocked them, but you should check what happened. Review your account activity to make sure no one else has access.

If I change the google settings to allow non secure emails, which Google doesn’t recommend, then the emails do come through but I don’t want to leave that setting.

Bruce Cowan

I use gmail with no issues

here is my configuration using elkRP2 application:

1) select “M1XEP Setup” from the top level page

2)under the “TCP/IP” tab
            specify the DNS addresses (to resolve “smtp.gmail.com” set in the next step)
            enter your ISP’s primary and secondary DNS server IP’s
            secure port: 2601

3) under the “Email” tab
            Server URL/IP address: smtp.gmail.com
            “From” email address: your email@gmail.com
            Port: 465
            Username: your gmail account user name
            Password: your gmail account password
            enter email messages in boxes below

Bruce Cowan

I believe the message you received from Google is just a warning.

was there any option for you to approve the access from the “non-Goggle app”?

Bruce Cowan

and I should add that I have enabled access from “non-Google” apps.   part of the risk I suppose

I only use a specific gmail account for M1 messaging and use a very secure password

Malcolm Johnson

Bruce,

Thanks for the tip.  I think  you have the solution for me.  I had set up M1 as you described and I did approve access to non-google apps.  When I did that, the emails came through to my account.  But I changed that access because of the warning.  I will set up a separate gmail account and send them from that instead to see how that works

Mal Johnson

MKG

There is a better and secure way to give non-Google apps “SMTP access” to the Google account. You can generate an “app password” and use that in ELK. It works as follows:

1. Sign in to your Gmail account security
                    2. Enable 2-step verification.
                    3. Create an App password
                    4. Use this password for SMTP.

The process to generate and use app password is documented here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

App password works with ELK. It is very secure. Also, it only allows SMTP access to the Google account and NOT the complete access to Gmail/Google account.
                    Another problem in using “Allow less secure apps” option is that this option get disabled after some time, auto-magically. Unless you check, you don’t know that this option has been disabled.

MKG

There is much better/secure way to allow non-Google apps (like ELK) to send emails using a Google account. You can define an “app password” and use that in ELK. The “app password” is auto-generated by Google and it contains 16 chars. There is no need open your gmail account to potential hacking. App password is very secure.

I am using app password with ELK. The process to define app password is defined here:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/185833?hl=en-GB

Hope it helps!
                      MKG

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Scroll to Top