Alarm Engine Support Forum Touch screen

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JOHN WADE

The new touchscreen has some issues.  Once connected and configured it will come up with errors, disconnect and say pin not valid.  Reconnection is possible but system remains unstable.  A factory trim ring for retrofits would also be nice.  Happy to see it has WiFi given non standard network connections.

Michael Burrell

John,

I apologize for the any confusion, but the Alarm Engine verison of the touch screen is not offically released. What you you see as the AE application is very early “place holder” application that we put on the touch screen in order to allow us to update it once the official application was ready for the touch screen. It is not intended to function.

We started shipping the touch screens for M1 customers that want to utilize it, the application for M1 use is ready for release.

I would intent was to have the M1 and AE version ready to ship together, but we encountered some personnel setbacks in the software development of the 7” touchscreen app that interfaces with the E27 Alarm Engine. While we are actively working to catch up on the developement, it has significantly delayed the product’s release. Although I cannot provide a solid timeline at this moment, my best estimate is that we are still a few months away from release. We went ahead and allowed it to be purchased, but for M1 use only.

Thanks,

Mike

JOHN WADE

Mike, thanks for the info.  There is definitely some confusion as to what works today.  Distribution understands that the same touchscreen works with both panels now.  Packing and instruction insert would seem to confirm that.  Setup screens do as well.  I hope updates arrive soon as the screen looks good and has decent functionality when it connects and finishes data acquisition.  Firmware updates recently released for the alarm engine and keypad have solved numerous issues.

Michael Burrell

John,

I agree, the messaging is not as good as it we need it on this. I will work on improving that. I do appericate the insight. I am happy to hear the new released firmware has resolved issues, we are actively working on another release. We plan to have app releases very soon to address issues brought up there.

Thanks,

Mike

JOHN WADE

To update the touchscreen experience.  The controller firmware updates have made the touchscreens substantially functional, though not without quirks.  All the various control functions seem to be available and working and statuses of zones, lighting, locks are available.  Surprisingly, what does not work is the ability to arm and disarm.  The system prompts for a code, but then does nothing.  I realize the touchscreens are “not ready for primetime”, but felt this info. might be useful.

Michael Burrell

John,

It’s good that you are seeing improvements in the AE App on the touch screen. I appreciate the feedback, but as you stated what you have is not intended to be a working version. It was a placeholder that we felt would not be there long, but that ended up not being the case as this development has taken much longer than expected. To be transparent, I didn’t do as good a job on this placeholder as I should have. It really should just let you know this is not a working version when it loads.

The new version will be much, much different “under the covers.” It will have a very similar look and feel, but the underlying operations will be different. What you currently have is a landscape version of the Android mobile app that is many versions and bug fixes behind what is in the store currently. So it kind of works, but not as intended.

The differences between how a wall-mounted touch screen will operate and the mobile app are similar but different in many ways. The touch screen needs the ability to act in the same way that a bus keypad acts. It has to accommodate the use of the device without “authentication” to the control. In the current version you have, you are using a user pin to connect. This essentially gives the touch screen the rights of that user. This is not the behavior we want from the touchscreen, or atleast not all the time. The touchscreen needs to have the ability to be its own device within the system. The mobile app is not intended to be “part of the system.” The touch screen will be supervised by the control, like a bus device. There will be a new section in programming called “Network Devices.” These are devices that are connected to the control via a network connection. The touch screen will be the first device. API integrations (Control 4, Crestron, Elan, etc.) will also be shown on this page, assuming they follow our API documentation. This page will also house “Linking” credentials that you as a dealer will enter into the panel. This will be a custom passphrase and access PIN. You just enter this once into the control panel setup, then instead of a PIN, you enter this info into the touch screen application after discovering it. This will establish a constant link between the control and touchscreen so that it is supervised and its IP connection is as stable as possible.

I realize this is more information than you asked for, but I wanted to share some additional information about what we are working on. Our app team is fully focused on the touch screen application, and I hope to have something more to share soon.

Thanks,

Mike

JOHN WADE

Any timeline on touchscreen updates?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Scroll to Top