M1 Support Forum Z-Wave lock with ISY994ZW

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Adam Fenn

I have an ISY successfully controlling a z-wave lock, and that’s all I want to do with the ISY.  Is there documentation available on using the M1G to send lock and unlock commands to the ISY?

Thanks!

Adam

Adam Fenn

I see that the partners page for Kwikset Z-Wave locks says they’re connected via the M1XEP and the ISY994i ZW+, which is what I have.

I have looked at the ISY INSTEON video on the Elk Products channel. It says that locks shouldn’t be added as lights, and that the ISY is not a path to Z-Wave support, but that comment must be dated as the partner link specifies the ISY.

I have also watched the Z-Wave video on the Elk Products channel.  That one is based on the Leviton products and uses text strings sent via serial port to control locks.  With the M1XEP, there’s not really a serial sport, but I specified 0, it’s connected to the onboard serial port.  That didn’t work.

Any tips or links to documentation would be great!

Thanks!

Adam

Brian

The Elk Security Module add-on for the ISY allows control of the ISY from the Elk, or the Elk from the ISY.  I have my Elk M1G configured to tell the ISY to open/close Z-Wave locks.

You can find more information here:  https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-994i_Series_INSTEON:ELK_Security_Module.

Adam Fenn

Thanks Brian.  I read that too.  The module allows us to write rules that use M1G data, but I only want to use M1G rules to control the lock, which is supported without the module.  I’m not sure how to reference Z-Wave locks from M1G rules, which is what I’m after.

Adam

Adam Fenn

Brian, how did you configure the ELK to tell the ISY control the locks?  I don’t see anything in the documentation that references locks at all.  I tried exporting and importing the ISY data into the ELK and controlling the locks as if they were locks, but that didn’t work.

Thanks!

Adam

Brian

I have a Schlage Z-Wave Connect Smart Deadbolt, Model FE469NX. After I added the Z-Wave lock to the ISY, the ISY showed 6 device nodes (see image below).  5 with the bell icon are for lock alarms. The 6th is a door icon and represents the actual lock/unlock mechanism.

To unlock the lock, I created a scene on the ISY called “Pantry Front Door – Unlock” which I exported to the Elk.  I believe you could do the same by importing the actual device instead, but I see you didn’t have any luck using that approach.

Once imported to the Elk, it is referenced it from the Lighting tab.  I set the Type as “On/Off Switch”.

I created a Rule on the Elk that, when triggered, issues the following command to run my scene on the ISY to unlock the door:

WHENEVER <YOUR DISCRETE EVENT>
                THEN TURN Pantry Front Do [2 (A2)] ON, FADE RATE = 0

I realize FADE RATE isn’t relevant to the lock, but Elk automatically includes it.  I assume it’s ignored.

Brian

I tried to embed some images in my earlier post to help illustrate my configuration, but this tool kept rejecting my post.  I finally removed the images and it allowed my text to post.

Adam Fenn

Thanks Brian!  I can’t wait to test this.  Very creative use of scenes on the ISY!

Adam Fenn

I’ve created scenes for locking and unlocking, which both work on the ISY.  I was able to export them to the Elk, but like the lock itself, my Elk rules don’t successfully trigger the scenes.

I wonder if there’s something wrong with the communication between the Elk and the ISY.  I’m not sure how I can confirm that the Elk can communicate with the ISY correctly.

Adam Fenn

I got it.  I started looking through the logs and error logs on the ISY.  I saw that there were errors when I tried to refresh topology.  I’m not really sure what I did to get it working,  but it’s working.  Maybe active ElkRP connections were interfering with the ISY?  That’s my best hypothesis at this point.

Thanks for the help Brian!

Brian

I believe when you have ElkRP software running and connected to the network via the M1XEP interface, the ISY Admin Console can’t make a connection.  Try disconnecting ElkRP and then run the ISY topology refresh.

Brian

And I believe the same applies regarding triggering events between the Elk and ISY.  If you leave the ElkRP software connected to the M1G via the M1XEP, it won’t be able to communicate with the ISY.  Disconnect ElkRP and then try triggering the rule.

Brian

Here’s a good tutorial that also explains this starting at time 29.48……https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48rARCW7cYI

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Scroll to Top