M1 Support Forum Thermostats not enabled on keypad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Trenton Wilson

Have 7 Aprilaire 8800 thermostats I can connect directly to them via 232 port and send receive commands to all of them through a terminal window but unable to connect to them through the m1xsp adapter red led on xsp blinking hearbeat about 1/2 second  when I reboot it rapid blinks and the green and yellow on the 8811 blink along with it until it is fully booted then nothing tried naming thermostats in RP but to no avail what am I missing?

Trenton Wilson

so I am guessing ELK does not work with the Aprilaire Thermostats  as indicated in instructions

Brad Weeks

Thermostat Not Enabled indicates the thermostats haven’t sent their temperature reading to the M1. Check to make sure the M1XSP is running Firmware 1.0.50 , the Baud Rate  (S1 -S3) is 9600 (up, down, up) , the Mode (S5 -S8) is up, down, up, up, JP3 is RS232 and the JP5 jumper is not on. When you connected directly to the 8811 did you use the included RJ to DB9 cable shipped with the 8811 Protocol Adapter?

Trenton Wilson

Jumpers are verified in proper position

firmware is 1.0.5.0

My 8811 has DB9 on it and yes I used the cable that came with it

when I first boot the M1 the 8811  green and yellow light and the xsp light blink like it is talking to each other then the xsp settles into a steady heartbeat and nothing from else

if I cut power to the M1 the 8811 yellow TXD light goes to steady on

Brad Weeks

Have you created rules to send commands to the thermostats and if so do those rules work?

Brad Weeks

Have you created rules to send commands to the thermostats and if so do those rules work?

Trenton Wilson

I created the rules as per instructions and they do not work

Trenton Wilson

So I guess elk doesn’t work with Aprilaire wish I knew that before buying

Brad Weeks

There is programming on the thermostat side that also needs to be done with Aprilaire. Did you configure the thermostats with their own individual address and correct baud rate?

Trenton Wilson

Yes I can talk to them and make changes to them via terminal putty window when connected directly via com Port to the 8811

Trenton Wilson

<p style=”text-align: center;”>Their address start on 01 and end at 07 baud is set for 9600</p>

Brad Weeks

To troubleshoot disconnect the 8811 from the M1XSP and use a null modem to connect from the M1XSP to laptop running a program like HyperTerminal and monitor for data.

Trenton Wilson

Okay I will dig up a Null Modem Cable and see if Data comes through and will report back

Trenton Wilson

ok I hooked up a null modem cable and when I reboot the xsp it sends out data inquiry  last one is SN NETLK

when I do a away and return on the M1 to trigger the two automations it sits there and nothing is sent to the terminal

Brad Weeks

It looks like the M1XSP is sending the correct Aprilaire commands on startup. You probably won’t see the rule triggered commands from the M1XSP because the 8811 isn’t connected. The M1XSP will need to receive a reply to it’s poll from the thermostats so that is knows that it is there before it will send the commands from a rule.

The null modem test proved that the M1XSP is working and it’s set to Aprilaire mode. Connect it back together and try one more time. Power down both the M1 and  the Aprilaire system.  Power up both and after a couple of minutes check on the keypad to see if the thermostats are enabled.

Might want to start by having only one thermostat (address 1) to see if that one gets recognized by the M1XSP.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Scroll to Top